Pushing on the Clutch loads engine?

Normally, disengaging the clutch loads the engine slightly, as it has to
spin the input shaft on the tranny. I suppose a thrust bearing issue or
misalignment of the tranny to engine might cause the inverse to happen.

I would check and make sure you still have all tranny to engine bolts
installed (that rear one has vanished on me on nearly every 16v I've owned).

Also, if something that small can throw the idle into such oscillations that
it can actually cause a stall, I would think the feedback is a bit high on
the idle circuitry.

HTH
Al