Removing and Installing Transmission

Don, I just got done doing this.  I angle the engine down fairly far so
that the trans is pretty low.  I dont have the swaybar installed, so
maybe that lets it get further down without the header hitting.  No
front or rear mounts attached.
   Then I get the trans bolted up and put the drivers side mount on
afterwords and then raise the whole thing into position.  I have started
putting the bolts on the drivers mount in opposite ways.  The front one
I insert from the outside like normal, the rear one that is the pain in
the ass, I insert from the inside.  There is room for this to go in this
way.  Then you can just jack the trans and engine up and put the bolt
through the mounting hole easily.  The real PITA I have found is getting
the passenger drive flange around the end of the block, that is a real
tight fit VW engineers made.

Eric Person