Ignition timing for dummies?

On 6:28:53 am 10/01/05 "Patrick Bureau" <patrick.bureau@gmail.com> wrote:
> A fair bit past 6'?? I ran my 2L with a G grind at 14' Adavnce and 60%
> Dwell.
>
> I say check you dwell....

OKay, this is  a hole in my automotive background (no auto shop for me, I
was encouraged to do cooking and sewing instead). First, why measure dwell,
and how?  If it's for fuel mix, I can't use it, the car has no O2
sensor/related devices. And I'd say about 12*, I don't have a fancy timing
light, but that'd be the eyeball guess. Maybe it needs to go even more? Is
that possible?

Cathy