Ignition timing for dummies?

On 3:05:38 am 10/01/05 "Dick Y Wong" <sailingfc@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Can't help you on the initial ignition setting.  I don't run a knock
> box.
> I don't think it is the injectors because you have a good idle.  If
> injectors were spraying bad, they would spray bad all the time.

No chance bad spray would be a bigger factor under load? It's when vaccuum
is pegged at "zero" if that helps.

But
> maybe there's not enough fuel coming through at higher RPMs...  do
> you know if you have a clean fuel filter?

Do I know, actually.  I did it last fall, and again about three weeks ago
after I discovered the bad injectors, and yes, I had bad idle before
swapping the injectors, now that you mention it ( missing), but the problem
was most pronounced in the same rom range as this time, it was nearly
bucking then.

> On the timing thing, are all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly on
> the distributor?  If you're too advanced, you will get pinging(non
> knock box setup),

And then it retards it, so there you go.
And I'm sure they are right, the line goes from the intake manifold to the
knock box, no line on the dist, itself.

if you're too retarded... no top end.

Well, top end is actually better than down low, though not always, if I
could run within 1500 rpm of redline all the time, it would be happier.
It's 4-5000 I'd say where the sputtering is happening most.

> Good Luck!
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> 95 Passat GLX
> Second Owner

Too late for that on this car, luck would have been getting it right a full
year ago. It's been a long haul.

Cathy