timing belt

--- Blake Irvin <blake@clockworm.com> wrote:

> i've heard that the timing belt breaking on a 16v can be
> pretty bad -
> what can i do to minimize the possibility?

It's supposed to be a regular scheduled maintenance item.
I do mine every 2-3 years or 40k miles.  VW recommends 60k
between changes, but I've heard an occasional story of them
breaking before then.

  can i do a
> chain?

Nope.

  what
> replacement belt is best?

Call up Mike or Mark and order a 16v timing belt AND
tensioner.  (The tensioners eventually go bad and lock up,
destroying the belt and....)

> btw, i think i've established for sure that my fuel pump
> is bad.
> took the wires off of the pump (after much cursing) and
> connected
> them to my voltmeter - then bridged the relay and got
> 11.89v - which
> seems perfect considering all the cranking i've done with
> no actual
> starts to fire up the alternator.
>
> so i guess it's time to shell out the 170 for the GAP
> bosch pump.

Did you try just jumpering the relay to see if the pump
would run?  (Sorry, I've been off list for over a week.)

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/