timing belt

i've heard that the timing belt breaking on a 16v can be pretty bad -
what can i do to minimize the possibility?  can i do a chain?  what
replacement belt is best?

btw, i think i've established for sure that my fuel pump is bad.
took the wires off of the pump (after much cursing) and connected
them to my voltmeter - then bridged the relay and got 11.89v - which
seems perfect considering all the cranking i've done with no actual
starts to fire up the alternator.

so i guess it's time to shell out the 170 for the GAP bosch pump.

blake/