relocation woes

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:09:43 -0500, "C Boyko"
<roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>I was wondering how widely driving/registration laws/fees varied from state
>to state. I know California is probably strictest for emissions, but I'd be
>curious what the annual renewal process costs in time and money in various
>states

Cal emissions test/certification is about $50 every two years,
assuming you pass with no repairs required.  All vehicles 1976 and
newer are forever subject to testing as a result of a recent change.
It was "30 years or newer" until last year.

License plate annual fees are based on weight and valuation.  My 1975
Scirocco is now around $50 annually, which is about as low as you will
ever get.  Wife's 88 MB coupe is now down to $125, about the same as
my 98 Ranger pickup.  A guy I work for has an '03 MB S55 AMG.  His
license plates were almost $1200 the first year and are now around
$900.  Vanity plates are (approximately) an extra $25-75 annually,
depending on the kind of plate you choose or qualify for.
Congressional Medal of Honor, Pearl Harbor Survivor, and Purple Heart
plates are no extra charge.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9