exhaust gas analyzers

On 9:43:49 am 11/20/05 Phil Boeye <rocco_phil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I made a comment to Cathy directly about maybe it
> would be a good idea to get an exhaust gas analyzer
> and become adept at using it to tune for the
> emissions.
>
> Looking on eBay there are a ton of such analyzers
> available at decent prices.  Of course, they basically
> test CO and rich/lean settings (4-gas analyzers being
> waaaay too expensive for me).
>
> Anyone think this would be a worthy endeavor and valid
> addition to one's toolset and skills?
>
> -RP
> '87 stock 8v beater
> '84.5 2L 8v + 2H
>
> "..slave to the disease..."

Well, depending on the price, I'd consider one for my CIS car, as CO
testing is the best way to check mix on it. It doesn't have to ETest
though. In my other application, it'd have two drawbacks, the car could be
okay for CO at idle but fail the running test on the dyno, and NOX could
still be way out if the car is lean.
For my money though, I'll probably opt for a wB O2 sensor with a guage for
the CIS car, and a catalytic converter that actually works for the Cabby.
But I think a CO tester would be handy, depending on price. I'll have to
look into Santa finding me one on EBay maybe.
cathy

Cathy