O2 stuff from the archives

On 11:46:35 pm 11/17/05 Nate Mellom <doubt@inwave.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, *September 30, 1998* 8:15 PM, Shawn C Meze
> [SMTP:skerocdriver@juno.com] wrote:
>  >
>  >  On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:12:35 -0700 Salvatore Guzzo
>  >  <yu129742@yorku.ca> writes:
>  > > What does this unit (O2 sensor) do for me anyways...
>  >
>  >
>  >  Replace it if you dont know how old your's is. Its the key to the
>  >  universe! Well, not exactly, its what controls the fuel system
>  >  and you need it for the fuel system to work properly.
>  >
There should be some voltage produced which goes to the DPR to fine tune
what's going on fuel mix-wise. So detach the sensor plug (up near the
firewall by the brake booster), it'll have a green wire on one end of it,
but test the voltage coming off the sensor end. It should fluctuate, around
7V at stoich. if memory serves. You should get the car well warmed up
first. The other two wires are just "in and out" power for the heater in
the sensor. It's that other one you want to test. No voltage means a dead
sensor. If it's off .7V (someone correct me if that's on the wrong scale,
I'm useless at remembering numbers) it may mean your car is way rich or way
lean. Then you can start screwing with DPR current, but not till you know
your O2 sensor is working.

HTH,
cathy