[OT] Stereo/sub/amp install advice needed

yeah, all electronics run on that smoke... once it
comes out, your electronic thing won't work anymore.
i've experienced that several times.  :(

<http://bestamp.com/electronics/car_audio/amplifiers/power_acoustik/sterling/ch4_200x_800x.htm>

> > > I'm not quite understanding the whole 'channel'
> and
> > > 'bridge' thing.
> > > If I use the 4 channel 400w amp to only drive
> the
> > > (single) sub, do I
> > > have to hook both low level inputs up to the
> head
> > > unit? (ie: can I
> > > jumper the inputs w/ "Y" RCA jacks?).
> > >
> > > Might the mystery "Chn 3/4 Subwoofer" switch on
> the
> > > amp
> > > <http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/amp_2.jpg>)
> allow
> > > Channels 3 & 4 to
> > > use the full power of the amp, without having to
> > > wire the input and
> > > outputs of Channels 1 & 2?  (ie: only needs a
> single
> > > two-RCA low level
> > > Chn 3/4 input, and only uses the Chn 3/4 output
> > > the sub, but uses
> > > the power that would normally be reserved for
> Chn
> > > 1/2 as well - giving
> > > all 400w to Chn 3/4?)
> > >

> > No. You have a Four Channel Amp. It can use the
> second
> > two channels COMBINED to act like a three channel
> amp.
> > Channels 1&2 are not part of that scenario (other
> than
> > if you ignore them and just run 3&4 Bridged (are
> say
> > to combine a Left and Right signal into a single
> SUB
> > speaker) the thing will draw less power over all
> and
> > therefore likley run cooler, etc, etc.
> >
> > Bridging is called such because you are using
> > something like a big ol' honking staple to
> physically
> > BRIDGE the two power 'sides' of an amp together.
> > Rarely are you going to find three or more
> channels
> > bridged together, hence the Even/Odd channels in
> total
> > number of channels; "4/3 Bridgeable...", etc.
> >
> > (Note: My example of the use of a _staple_ is
> somewhat
> > symbolic these days, follow your manufacturer's
> > instructions, many of which you can download off
> the
> > net.)
> >

> > > How exactly do I hook up the amp output to the
> sub?
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > The best thing to consider is you only want to
> send
> > the 'right' frequencies to a given speaker, lows
> > large diameter drivers, highs to 'tweeter's', etc.
> > What follows is you would likely not want to
> filter
> > the undesirable frequencies out _after_ you ran
> the
> > whole thing through an amp, so if possible, filter
> > prior to the amp's input. (Some Amps have built in
> > filters.)
> >
> > This goes back to finding out if the Head Unit has

=== message truncated ===

http://farechase.yahoo.com