Maybe found it....

--- Nate Mellom <doubt@inwave.com> wrote:
> Just to make sure, you ARE using the right timing
> mark on the cam,
> right? There are 2 <snip>

Just wanted to address Nate's comment first: my '85
had the double-sided cam sprocket.  This '87 does not.
 I have searched high and low and no dimple mark on
the outside of the cam sprocket.  Just the hash mark
on the inside (used for timing).  Thanks, though.  I
mention this because I found it odd to only have the
one mark.  Actually, why the double marks on the other
ones?  That is what is odd.

OK...........

So I looked over the nifty PDF a bit tonight simply
because I wanted to use it and not my falling apart
Bentley.  Which is one reason to do the laminated
Bentley - I'm doing it!  (Iiiiiiii'm FIFTY!) lol

Anyhow, I have gone about this whole timing procedure
halfass thinking I have done it a number of times.
Well, turns out I omitted something and I think it has
bit my ass.  Has to do with the distributor removal
and reinstallation.  I'll check it when I get a chance
and then report back if it was the case.

I am about 97% sure this is an ignition timing issue.
Everything else checks out in troubleshooting fine.
And nothing else was giving me a problem previous to
the operation, so...

-RP
'87 stock 8v beater = "The Faithful One"
'84.5 2L 8v + 2H = "Baby Fatass"

"..slave to the disease..."

http://farechase.yahoo.com