Battery cable ruled out

Just to make sure, you ARE using the right timing mark on the cam,
right? There are 2, one on either side of the cam gear, and you need to
use the one on the engine side, not the fender side, aligned with the
top front edge of the head
<http://www.endosquid.com/audi/images/pics/iain_cam.jpg>
(Snagged from an earlier post from Gordon Forbess)
Nate
'81
'88