Battery cable ruled out

no don't shut up.  i need all the info i can get.  i've done
everything mr. bentley says to, with no results.  i don't want to
take the car to the shop for this, cause it'll be my other arm and my
other leg in labor this time.

i guess i should look at the distributor.  but remember, the starter
is not even cranking.  that's the weird bit.  so i need to know all
the bits that interact between the key turning and the starter
turning over.

does anyone have a pic of a properly wired battery in a 16v?  mine
looks like it's been hacked a little bit.

blake/