How did you get your first....

> So... How did you become hooked?

I honestly wish I could remember what made me really want one at first.
I remember one of my good friends in high school went through a couple
VWs while I knew him, and I really liked the attitude of the A1 and A2
VW guys.  I always really liked the newer VWs too because they were
similar to the BMW that I drove in high school.
I remember being at an autocross and hearing the announcer say "here
comes [someone, dont know the name] with his scirocco.  More body roll
than a sailboat on full tack!"  I think that was the first time I ever
heard someone pronounce the word "Scirocco."  I wasn't right on the
course, though, and didn't even see the car.
In fact, I had never seen a scirocco in the metal until I went to go
buy my first.

Sometime during the spring of my freshman year of college I decided to
start looking for a car.  I wanted a cheap project.  Something
european and fun to drive.  Something rare and quirky.  I started
looking for Sciroccos.
I initially hated the Mk1 - thought it was too dated looking.  I
really wanted a Mk2.  Then one day I saw one on ebay that must have
been just the right colour and just the right camera angle and
suddenly I loved the Mk1 styling.  Started searching for them instead
and found one near me in the DC area.  I knew nothing really about
VWs, but I went and test drove it and it seemed like a pretty good
car.  It was krylon black and pretty rough, but it had the full
interior from an S model and I was impressed by the fact that it
already had an engine swap, so I plunked down the cash and drove it
home to Kentucky for the summer.  Got it there and started taking it
apart.  Wasn't long before I started finding rust and other little
things wrong with it.  Later found out it was bought from a junkyard
in cleveland (have the receipt - I should have read the records more
closely) as a parts only car.  I ended up having to park it for about
6 months when I broke my leg and wasn't able to drive it back to
school in the fall.  When I did get it back to school I was still
nursing the pipe dream of restoring it.  Eventually gave that up and
bought my second rocc, which is where my obsession really took off, I
think.

In the end, the first one was probably a mistake.  I paid too much and
got a money pit rust bucket.  Hoping now to take out my vengance on it
by stripping it to nothing and reincarnating it as a monster.

-Grant-