How did you get your first....

In 1976, Iwas newly returned from Europe and trying to find something to compliment my 74 911S.
Test drove a 1976 Scirocco.
Test drove a 1976 Porsche 924.
Realized the Scirocco was the better performer at less money so, decided to buy a house.
In 1977, after recovering from closing on the house, I wandered in to the Waco TX VW delaership, where my wife fell in love with a new 77 Beetle, last year for the coupe' in the USA.
It was a beautiful dark blue metallic with white interior and AC.
After 40,000 plus miles in the VW, we were headed back to Germany in late 1979 and needed something for there that was a better Autobahn cruiser than a Beetle. So, we sold it for more than we paid for it: to a dealer in Lampasses.
In Germany, we found our Autobahn screamer in a german spec 1979 GTi Scirocco, 1.7 liter, 110 PS.
No power steering, no AC, no other power, no radio. (Never installed one either.)
Drove that wonderful machine more than 160,000 Km at mostly redline on the Autobahn. Never failed me in any way.
Knowing we would have to return to the US soon, we ordered a fully optioned 86 8V in Sep 1985 (pre 16V days) and sold the 79 GTi.
Still have the 86 with more than 300,00 miles on it. MY DD.
Wish I still had them all.