[16v] Newbie (of sorts), with questions.

I suspect the Lamba system.  The mixture is constantly corrected as a result
of a signal from the oxygen sensor, as interpreted by the computer, etc.,
etc.  In situations where the O2 sensor or any of the connections or
components are messed up, you're gonna loose a lot of power and have
stumbling.

Before you start changing parts, keep in mind the fact that it could be
something small.  I was checking a whole bunch of stuff on my 8V a month
ago, and found the frequency valve response to be erratic.  Wiggled the
connector and found it affected the valve's response.  Turned out that the
terminal had pulled most of the way out of the plastic connector and was
barely making contact.

The main reason for my focus on this area is that it is partially bypassed
when the engine is cold/first started.

The Bentley will guide you.....
Now, if it would only guide me to fixing the last problem with my 85.....

Jim