Oil cooler seal not sealing!!!

  Hey, has anyone else every had problems with the seal between the oil
cooler and the block?  I have a 1983 1.8L JH, and last week it started
leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez from just above the oil cooler.  I took it
apart to find the seal between the oil cooler and engine split.  Not being
able to find a new seal locally, I ordered one, and in the meantime ripped
the seal off the top of an oil filter and put that in there.  That worked
fine!

  Until today -- it blew again.  My question is, do you think this indicates
that my oil pressure is too high for some reason?  (Is there an oil pressure
regulator in the system somewhere?)  Or was it just time for the 1st seal to
go, due to age (I'm sure it was original)? And my back-alley fix with the
square oil filter seal not good enough?

  Any thoughts would be appreciated....

                                          - Mark M