Oil cooler seal not sealing!!!

On 6:15:44 pm 11/01/05 "Mark Malowicki" <yurple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>   Hey, has anyone else every had problems with the seal between the
> oil cooler and the block?  I have a 1983 1.8L JH, and last week it
> started leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez from just above the oil
> cooler.  I took it apart to find the seal between the oil cooler and
> engine split.  Not being able to find a new seal locally, I ordered
> one, and in the meantime ripped the seal off the top of an oil filter
> and put that in there.  That worked fine!
>
>   Until today -- it blew again.  My question is, do you think this
> indicates that my oil pressure is too high for some reason?  (Is
> there an oil pressure regulator in the system somewhere?)  Or was it
> just time for the 1st seal to go, due to age (I'm sure it was
> original)? And my back-alley fix with the square oil filter seal not
> good enough?
>   Any thoughts would be appreciated....
>
>                                           - Mark M

I've replaced the o ring at the top of that cooler a few times with good,
permanent results, as well as the gasket right on the block under there.
(That sucker can pour out a fair mess too)  Get the proper seal and see if
that fixes it. Now someone who knows better than me can answer, would a
blocked up oil filter do this?

cathy