[OT: DUI] Canadian immigration police

I love you Man

On 5/27/05, Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Brian Haygood wrote:
> > I'm sure I have missed lots of intellegent banter by not reading the
> > because I lack sleep, but...
>
> UPDATE: Canadian immigration lawyer says, "As long as it's not an
> actual DUI, he'll have no problem getting a student visa" so case is
> closed. He leaves on Sunday.
>
> > If the idiot can't keep his beers, keys and right foot in check any
> > better than that, I'm kinda glad he at least gets some kind of
> > hassles for it. Too bad the Canucks are leaving him with us, but
> > good for them for not taking him. Sure, he's probably a great guy,
> > but there should be more consequences for people doing stupid crap
> > like this. And, no, this is not a case of "everybody does it once in
> > a while". They simply don't.
>
> He got hassles, anxiety, costs nearing $2000, and a hilarious dressing
> down from members of this list. You happy now? I don't condone DUI
> either but I had no idea about the Canadian inadmissibility rule.
> Anecdotes like "my pa smoked pot 30 years ago..." and "gosh, Americans
> need more immigration hassles..." were what I was hoping for, not
> "you're a dumb Liberal and he's a dumb drunk so fuck you both."
>
> Uncool and unfun.
>
> > I've worked too many accident scenes involving people who, "just had
> > one or two beers" to feel sorry for somebody being minorly
> > inconvenienced as a result of doing something that stupid.
>
> If by 'minorly inconvenienced' you mean not being able to persue his
> chosen career path or visit his mom for five years then you have a
> different definition of 'minorly' than most people. That was kind of
> the point of the post, but since you guys are so into it, I'll just ask
> if DUI is OK next time. Er, I mean, if fruitcake being served.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for an evening...
Set him on fire, and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in
love.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings.
Heinrich Heine