From: Spewey <spewey@comcast.net>
Sent: May 25, 2005 11:07 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: [OT: DUI] Canadian immigration police

I got such great help from the canucks last time....

*[disclaimer]* /actual legal advice is not to be given or taken under
any circumstances. This is all anecdotal and make-believe./

Say my friend's mom is retiring to Canada and he was set to attend
school there starting in August BUT...

Last month he decided to rather unwisely drive 98 mph on his
way home from the bar. He blew just over and got a DUI and a
Careless. Looking through Canadian gov't websites he determined that
DUI makes one INADMISSIBLE. Oh, shit. He got a lawyer and the
charges were dropped to Careless only which still carries a 90 day
suspension but no DUI on the record.

Now we can't figure out just how this affects him. Some websites show
revocation as a naughty crime by itself. The state will be slow to
correct their records and much theoretical agony is being had.

Visa-wise, he was planning to apply there. The paperwork for
criminals into Canadia is incredibly complex. Traffic violations are
classed as minor so technically he is legal. Should he worry? Why are
y'all so strict or is it all legal mumbo-jumbo that no one bothers with?
Border-wise, US DUI offenders probably enter Canada thousands of times a
day, right?  He's never ever done anything else wrong :(