Rod/bearing/whatever.....something just went....

> From: Drew Mac <type53@gmail.com>
> Date: 2005/05/23 Mon AM 09:09:22 EDT
> To: danws69@earthlink.net
> CC: roc <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: Rod/bearing/whatever.....something just went....
>
> On 5/22/05, Dan <danws69@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > In case anyone cared/was wondering....
> >
> > #3 rod bearing spun.
> > Remove & replaced crankshaft/all rod bearings/#3 rod
> > Tested & towed back to Tampa (have I ever mentioned how much I loath
> > towing cars with my Scirocco.....)
>
> Did you check/replace the intermediate shaft bearings while you had
> the engine out?  If you spun a rod bearing, chances are good that you
> have damaged/ excessively worn intermediate shaft bearings (I''ve seen
> more than one diesel engine where they've worn thin enough to fall
> out!)
>
> Worn intermediate shaft bearings will reduce your oil pressure to
> dangerous levels (reuslting in things like spun bearings...)
>
> Doomsayer Drew...

I agree...

In fact, the next engine I build from the ground up, I will actually rotate the inner intermediate bearing so that the channel that sprays oil to the distributor drive will actually feed nothing.  There is more than enough splash lubrication in that area, and capping that 'leak' right there will increase the oil pressure quite a bit since it is the first feed from the pump.  Killing that will increase the pressure to everything else...

My .02,

David

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car