DIY alignments?

All,
I need to replace my steering rack, and when I installed my replacement
struts a couple years ago I did a very rudimentary alignment, such as
"Yep, that looks good!".  Turns out it wasn't good, my passenger front
tire is almost bald on the outside 'cause of too much positive camber.
When I do the rack, should I spend the bucks to get an alignment at a
shop, or can I use a level and tape measure to get it done in my driveway?
Tips? Tricks? BTDTs?
Nate