DIY alignments?

At 02:09 AM 5/21/05, Nate Mellom wrote:

>All,
>I need to replace my steering rack, and when I installed my replacement
>struts a couple years ago I did a very rudimentary alignment, such as
>"Yep, that looks good!".  Turns out it wasn't good, my passenger front
>tire is almost bald on the outside 'cause of too much positive camber.
>When I do the rack, should I spend the bucks to get an alignment at a
>shop, or can I use a level and tape measure to get it done in my driveway?
>Tips? Tricks? BTDTs?
>Nate

Now first of all this is not a slam against you personally Nate, as this
topic comes up quite a bit.  Now Dan Bubb seems to be an exception here as he
seems to have this whole alignment thing well thought out and has the
material to do it, but it surprises me that so many people on this list
don't want to
spend the $40-$50 to have a professional alignment, that will prolong the
life of their expensive tires, and suspension and steering components.  I
curious
as to why this is.

John