Jetta II rear strut problem(sorry not rocco)

I acquired my 92 jetta last year and the owner said he once removed the rear
seat and had a "ton" of wood chips in the trunk!  I installed some tokico gas
struts in a set of used springs, but the rear of the car still slightly
squats, even with rubber blocks wedged in the springs! Anyone ever had this? Thanks,
Michael P.S., still trying to get the rocco painted in time for Cincy!