Clutch-slack-stop

> I was thinking about fabricating an adjustable 'stop' to eliminate all
> the excess free clutch pedal travel (the travel from fully out to just
> before there is pressure on the pushrod).  Make any sense?

I have something very much like this in my BMW.  It's basically a
completely different system (hydraulic clutch, RWD, etc) but similar.
All it is, in my case, is a big bolt that screws into the floorboard
behind the clutch.  BMW put a little rubber stopper behind the pedal
to keep it from actually hitting the floorboard, but what you do is
just unscrew that and use a much longer bolt with the same thread to
stop the clutch.  It can be adjusted to be right past the engagement
point.  I REALLY like it a lot and have often thought about trying to
rig something similar up for my VW.  I've seen no adverse effects from
it and haven't heard of any from anyone else, you just have to be
careful to - like you say - make sure you don't stop it too short or
anything.
The one I have is from http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

-Grant-