From: "Gordon Forbess" <gforbess@attglobal.net>
To: "Jeff" <scorpio71@charter.net>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: Fuel tank for a 79

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:34:20 -0400, "Jeff" <scorpio71@charter.net>
wrote:

>I need a fuel tank and pump to finally end the downward spiral of chasing
>rust threw the system. I found several online sources for the tank, about
>$115, but thought I would also look for recommendations from the list.  I
>have not checked locally yet, as the decision was made tonight, and I think
>I may be able to beat that price threw the shop I work at. Just thought I
>would throw this out there for any advice/experience with the matter.
>Thanks for your time and any input.  Jeff in Georgia

That sounds reasonable for a tank.  When I was doing the same "chasing
rust in the fuel system" thing I also looked into reconditioning the
tank, since carburetor car tanks are now unobtainium, but didn't need
to.

What I found, after pulling the tank (super fun job) was that it was
not the tank at all.. but the filler pipe.  Make sure the problem is
in your tank (not just the filler pipe) before you spring for the $$$.
I got my filler pipe blasted and re-coated at the local radiator shop
for $30 and no more rust problem.
Gordon
75 Scirocco/Drake 1.9 8V
http://pws.prserv.net/scirocco/scirocco.htm