Re: Home after 4340 miles in 10 days...

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:06:12 -0800 (PST), Ben Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:
  You are the king of road trips!  Some have impressed me before,
but this little venture of your is by far the most insane.  ;)

It was definitely the longest combined trip I've ever attempted.  I
had a great time though - I LOVE road trips...  I had a blast driving
like a lunatic on a frozen lake, met some really cool people, got to
know a few listers a little better, saw parts of the U.S. I haven't
seen before, and got an interesting peek of life/culture in a small
Oklahoma town (Purcell - pop. 9000) over the few days I stayed there
and mixed with the locals...  All in all, a very rich experience...

I'm sorry to hear that the car you picked up was so far from perfect...
I can't even imagine the dissapointment after driving all that way.

Ya, I was pretty bummed...  There are simply NO solid Mk1's anywhere
near where I (and you) live, so travelling a good distance to find a
worthy candidate is pretty much the only option.  After several
purchases of good, solid cars, only the 75 track car I bought last
summer was a true "keeper".  They all had either accident damage, or
rust issues.  I was really hoping that this car was going to be
another keeper - for the street, as a restored nice-weather-only
summer driver...

A bit of an update:  I towed the car to a good quality bodyshop, and
they quoted me $300 to straighten it + more $ to repair the fender... It will also need a full respray and some minor bodywork. The guy
seemed confident that he could repair it to the point where I couldn't
tell there was ever a problem, so I'm reserving my final judgement on
the car until after he's done straightening it out next week...  I
would still much rather start out with an accident free car though -
one with an intact "soul"...  :)

I really can't wait for you to finally get ahold of that "perfect" mk1 to
really begin your restoration and build... of all people, you really deserve to
find that perfect car.  And with your persistance, it's only a matter of time
until it happens.

Thanks for the kind words Ben!  :)  Persistent I am...  I'm quite
intent on finding my very narrow idea of the "perfect" Mk1.  My
"perfect" Mk1 isn't a polished and pampered $6000 car.  I'm looking
for the quintessential "diamond in the rough" - a car that first and
foremost is solid and rust free (surface rust ok), that hasn't been in
an accident, has low miles, and actually needs a restoration.  I don't
want to buy a "done" car.  I basically want the ideal candidate for a
proper restoration - one that will involve stripping the car down to
nothing and rebuilding it piece by piece - one that I will be intimate
(no not that kind of intimate!) with every single component and
fastener - one that I can be proud of building up, and keep for as
long as fate allows...  That's my dream Mk1 Scirocco...

Later,

Mark.
75
80 S