what's this hissing sound?

I will admit right off the bat that I'm asking this question before
having time to mess with the car ('86 Scirocco 8v) and figure it out,
but here goes:  Friday coming home from work I noticed a hissing sound
that would vary in direct correlation with the gas pedal.  More gas,
more hiss.  It wasn't related to the engine RPM because going 35-40mph
in 5th gear I could pretty much make the hiss go up and down with the
gas pedal without affecting the RPM very much.  And the engine seemed
to be a little sluggish, so I think it's lost a bit of power.  I
haven't changed anything in the car recently, so it's nothing that
I've induced with a new part or fiddling.  The exhaust has produced a
bit of a rattle over the last week or so ... the cat was coming in
contact with the side of the tunnel just next to the access panel to
the bottom of the shifter.  Not sure if that's related.  I guess she's
trying to tell me she needs some attention ...

Ring any bells?

Thanks,
matt.
'86 Scirocco 8v