Re: headgasket and tranny fluid questions

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:20:15 -0600, David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

No help on the gasket Q, but on the tranny Q, yes, you can over fill it.  If indeed it is a manual (which I assume it is), then it will not cause any damage, just a hell of a stinky mess (don't ask how I know).  However, all that is required to fill it is 2.1 liters.  Any more than that, and you run the risk of stinking things up. I personally have always just put two liters and said done, and not had any trouble with them since...

Hey guys,
IIRC on most 85 and older manual trannies you fill until the fluid
starts to come out the "fill" hole (I usually fill from the speedo
hole, w/ the side plug removed), then replace the plug and add 1/2
litre more.  On the later trannies the fill hole is higher up on the
tranny, and you just fill it until fluid starts coming out the fill
hole (don't add the extra 1/2 litre)...

HTH,

Mark.
75