headgasket and tranny fluid questions

First, to make a long story short, I have an '89 gli that needs a head gasket.  Problem is it has a 1.8l (PL) block, and a 2.0l head.  Does anyone know which head gasket (1.8 or 2.0 or P/N) I need to get?  Once I get this car running and sell it to my girlfriend, I'll have free driveway space to start shopping for a replacement scirocco for my wrecked '88.

Second, Is it possible to overfill a tranny with fluid?  I've always just filled through the filler hole, and it just runs out when it gets near full.  But I've got the speedo cable out and was going to add some fluid in that way.  Should I just add until it's at the top?

TIA
-Doug