Re: [SPAM] pillar trim removal

A buddy of mine removed his years ago on his white 16v.  Looked great
when all was said and done.  I think he also removed the rubber strips
from the length.  He used a hair dryer.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:42:50 -0600, Rob Calderwood
<robcalderwood1@charter.net> wrote:
Jim,

I have a white '85 and am in the middle of removing the black vinyl. The
paint is nice underneath. I use a heat gun and a plastic scraper.

Rob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Ruffi" <sciroccos@earthlink.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 9:15 AM
Subject: [SPAM] pillar trim removal

Good morning:

I figured the list was down this weekend, or just really slow...I guess we
were all watching and wondering about it...

Anyhoo, my 16V's black vinyl B pillar and door trim is pretty beat.  I'm not
sure I want to replace it.  I have the chemicals and patience to remove it
and shine up the paint underneath, but is the paint under there usually up
to snuff?  I've seen a few pics of "converted" ones but I wasn't sure
whether or not they were repaints.  Any suggestions?

Also, what's your vote on vinyl vs naked?  This is a black car.

TIA

Jim

Mike
'86 red 16v (Red 5)