Brake Q...

Tim - you are getting pads for solid rotors if they are way too thick.  The
only difference in the later solid and vented rotors with the Kelsey Hayes
calipers is the thickness of the pads.

Your 84 should have vented rotors, and here in Colorado with all the
mountain passes, it is a good thing to have.  However, if your pads are not
smooth on the surface, being that they were on the scored rotors, they could
mess up your new rotors slightly.  Really isn't worth it.  You might be able
to resurface them slightly- never tried that.

gd

So - I've done the front brakes for all of my cars. Every time I go
buy pads for my fronts - they are ALWAYS way too thick. (both of my
older cars have vented 9.4s)

BUT - I just got this new rocco - it has SOLID rotors. I assume the
same size. The discs themselves are shot to hell - scored and crappy.
The pads are great however - lots and lots of life in them. can I
switch to vented or should I stay solid.

And most importantly - Which rotors am I supposed to have??