MK2 polishing tail lights?

I polished up some lenses on my BMW once.  You basically sand them
smooth with really fine grit sandpaper (I wetsanded with 3000 grit, I
believe).  You might have to start with something more coarse
depending on what you're doing.  I always wanted to refinish my
plastic headlights because I couldn't afford euro glass lenses, which
would have required grinding off little nubs and embossed letters and
stuff, but that was a bit more of a leap.  But after sanding they'll
look hazy, so you'll then want to go to town with a fairly aggressive
rubbing compound.  I used a power buffer/polisher.  At this point I
sprayed them with VHT nightshades followed by clearcoat, wetsanded
again, and went back to the rubbing compound.  Finish with a finer
rubbing compound followed by regular car polish and a quick coat of
wax.

-Grant-