MK2 polishing tail lights?

I did this on my tail lights and it turned out killer. After going at
it with 1200 or 2200 grit you can use McGuire's plastic polish. That
will give them the new wet look. Also the black housing can also be
wet sanded to bring back the black color. After many years they start
to gray. Wet sanding those as well will complete the look and also be
necessary since it is near impossible to not sand the edges. I tried
using duct tape on the edges to protect them. But after removing that
much material you will be hard pressed to not scuff up the edges. Also
you will need to use a air compressor to blow out all the material
inside the edges. Since the clear isn't sealed to the black edging you
will have a ton of plastic dust in there.

The biggest piece of advice is to make sure and  use is sand in an "X"
pattern to keep the contour of the flat portion of the body. That will
keep the contour and also take down all the lines evenly. Take your
time. You cannot add material. Also using a orbital sander will burn
or melt the plastic. It happened to me.

Just a few thoughts from my experiences.