Any one know anything about A/C?

> From: John Gates <gatesj@mailblocks.com>
> Date: 2005/06/20 Mon PM 02:54:31 EDT

> As far as Canada/US, etc, I don't know the reasoning, if you're asking
> a rhetorical question, what IS the answer?  I am curious!  Would the
> Canadian government mandate that use of a certain chemical be avoided
> because it causes damage to components?  Is that under their purview?
> I could understand if they mandated against its use because of
> environmental impacts...

IIRC, it is because R134 IS actually bad for the ozone, while R12 is not.  Some more details I have just found...  R134 molecules are 20 times smaller than R12, and R12 molecules are 20 smaller than air...  If indeed R134 is smaller, then you could argue that R134 is more likely to leak, and when the system sees a vaccum after cooling, that it would be more likely to suck in air (and with air here, it would have moisture in it).  Perhaps that is the reason why failure is common, but not in VWs alone...

'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
'87 16V, parts car
'82 pickup, 2.0 16V, collecting dust...