Crossmember Bars POLL

If people are still interested, I can do a 3D model and FEA of the bar and see how much stress it can take before it breaks.  Have to know the dimensions and material.  I wouldn't bother to include effects of weld HAZ, etc., but it would speak to a lot of issues Nate is raising, like whether the plates are in danger of bending, what happens with more bend in the bar, etc.

As for the fatigue arguements, I'm gonna side with Nate so far.  The brittle fractures Allyn describes (haven't seen them myself) fit the fatigue scenario well enough.  As Nate said, fatigue and brittle often go together.  I'd have to get all microscopic on one to really have any useful input beyond that.

The weightlifting bar analogy doesn't fit.  There simply aren't enough cycles there for fatigue to be at play.  The weightlifter's bars, like so many coil springs, are changing shape because their yeild strength is being reached.  If it were fatigue, they would experience cracking and brittle failure, not just a little bend.  The HoR springs my PO put on the rocco did the same.  Through use they plastically deformed little by little because they couldn't support the highest loads they were hit with.  Such springs sag because they are reaching yield strength occaisonally, not fatigue.

The real question is, how many cycles should this bar be able to survive before it fatigues to death?  From there you look an S/N table for that material and it tells you what stress (S) you have to stay under to reach a number of cycles (N).  If we know the material, any engineering student, or other interested student, would be able to find the diagrams in their school library.

So I've missed most of this topic, probably because the topic was never switched to "Crossmember Bar Engineering Analysis" or some such, but anyway, some of the arguements about the bar causing more stress on the crossmember seem off the mark.  Are we talking about lateral stresses generated from the wheels bending the new crossbar, thus killing the original crossmember?  If so, forget it.  The front A'arm mounts would be the source of such a force, and they are suspended on those darn horns, well away from the crossmember.  I don't think those forces are enough to do anything at all to the crossmember.  Just a crude guess, but doesn't strike me as something that would happen.  Most people using the crossbar will also have a K-brace between those horns that will keep the whole front end moving together anyway.  Consequently, I don't think there is much worry about the plates bending out of the plane of the plates (i.e. the bumper supports getting closer to each other).

As for me and my rocco, I'll put a thin piece of sheetmetal across the crossmember to build up the crossmember, if I ever do anything.  Shooting from the hip, though, Eric's bar should work just fine.

BH