Was Crossmember Bars, now Saltybar's effect on handling

> the only way this bar could have an impact on handling is if it was fitted
> to a car with a badly cracked front cross member, and in that case, the
bar
> would only help to restore the suspension response to that of a scirocco
> with a non-cracked cross member.
> also, based on the unibody up front, there would be little to no impact on
> the alignment of the lower suspension parts, but there might be some
> rigidity lost in the upper strut housings - though this is negated if you
> have an upper strut tie bar. only the forward part of the engine bay would
> become more 'flimsy'. i imagine the worst effect would be that the engine
> would have more ability to rock from side to side (taking the body with
it).
> this is based on my observations from when i cut the front clip off of the
> twin shell and randomly smacked load bearing parts of the frame with a
dead
> blow hammer.
> hth
> Al

I am going to have to disagree with you Al.  When I was replacing the front
valance on the 76 Rabbit I had, (I was just helping the body guys out, as
bodywork is still my weakest link) - but the front had taken a slight hit,
so after drilling out all the spot welds and removing the front valence, we
got out the measurements from the Bentley.  Sticking a long, large square
steel tube down into the bumper-mount housing, that is welded to the strut
towers.  So the front crossmember was completely removed, and we could
adjust the position of the strut towers significantly with just one tug.
Granted, this isn't the kind of movement or forces that are probably seen
while driving, but it shows how much structural strength it offers to the
front of the unibody.  If everything the suspension is "pushing" against
isn't "pushing back an equal amount, it is moving and then the suspension
isn't the only variable in handling.  (not that it is when the unibody is
even stiffer than stock...

gd