Brake Upgrade

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+fahrvegnugen=cox.net@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
Larry Fry
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:16 AM
To: Gordy Stedman; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Brake Upgrade

So this extra weight will cost you, like, what...half a horsepower at worst?
You can never have too much brake.

Larry
sandiego16v

Upgraded brakes are indeed a good thing, however you can indeed go
overboard.  I have a friend with an A1 GTI and he put the Corrado brake
setup on his car.  Well, with his choice of brake pad (Ferrodo, don't recall
which color) the brake pads would never heat up to operating temp, and
therefore the brakes sucked on that car.  This is all his experience, so I
can't really comment directly...

As to the horsepower loss,  just going from 14s to 15s made a huge
difference in straight-line performance.  The 14s were prolly 10lbs lighter
each with their tires, and I sure felt it racing someone (on a track, with
professionals nearby if I cracked-up)...

My .002,
  David