Brake Upgrade

So this extra weight will cost you, like, what...half a horsepower at worst?
You can never have too much brake.
Since you have already purchased them.....why not use 'em?
Upgraded brakes are the sign of a serious gearhead.

Larry
sandiego16v

Just got back from U-Pull-It and grabbed a set of front calipers and
rotors off a 85 Audi Coupe.  They have vented 10.1" rotors and the
calipers are single piston have "girling" and "54" stamped on them.
Are these the same ones that were on the 16V sciroccos?  They were
mounted on the Audi on the rear (towards the door) side of the hub but
VW mounts the calipers on the front (nose end of the car).  There was
a 86 Cabriolet that I test fit them on.  By reversing the sides of the
car that the calipers came off the inlet for the break lines were
correctly pointing up (they were pointing down on the Audi) and the
bolt pattern fit right up.  Did notice they were substantially heaver
than the vented 9.4" rotors and caliper (obviously) that I took off
the Cab but without a scale don't know exact lbs.  I know this issue
has been tossed around for years but I will ask it once again.  Is it
overkill to add the 10.1" brakes in a Scirocco 1, 1.8L non-boosted 8V
with 100-110hp (might be a 2.0L upgrade in the future though)?  Will
the added unsprung weight be that big of an anchor?  I am building
this car for street purposes only and am thinking the lighter 9.4"
vented 8V brakes will stop her just fine and every 20lbs = 1hp.
Anyone using the 10.1" brakes on their scirocco MK1?  Any likes or
dislikes?  Thanks in advance.
--
Gordy