was Hot, Hot HOt!!

An aftermarket oil cooler (air-to-oil, since I've never heard of an
oil-to-oil cooler) can greatly reduce oil temps.  In fact, if you don't have
a thermostatically-controlled unit, the oil temps will not reach proper
temps unless you are on a track. ( I experienced this with youngson's turbo
MkI JH.)
 Yes, David is right; under normal conditions, oil and coolant temps will be
quite close....until, that is, you get on the aforementioned race track,
then your oil temps will FAR overshoot coolant temps. It's only in this case
that the much-maligned MkII-type cooler will actually be functioning as a
"cooler" instead as a "heater".  This device is actually quite well-designed
in that it works as a heater when it needs to and as a cooler when it needs
to do that.
  As much as we curse them, and think of them as stupid at best and sadistic
at worse, the VW engineeres are actually quite good at what they do.

Larry
sandiego16v