Who all is using Evans Coolant?

David Utley wrote:

>I would like to keep track so that if I have problems or questions later on, I can ask directly instead of asking the whole list...
>
>Of those that are using it, what sort of FI/Ignition system do you have?  I am curious to know who has done what with CIS-E FI and the knock-box Ignition.  What basic advance do you run?
>
>Thanks for your time...
>
>David
>
>'83 GTI, Daily Driver...
>'87 16V, parts car
>'82 pickup, 2.0 16V, collecting dust...

Hi David.  I've been away from the list for a couple months (recently
got married) but I happened to catch your post... I too am running Evans
Coolant, as before.  My setup is a 2.0 16V, with stock 16V Scirocco
ignition.  I had my distributor set at what I thought was stock  6* BTDC
at idle, but I had no low end power on the road.  I have since adjusted
"by feel" the distributor timing.  Now I have great low end, and just a
hint of ping at full throttle on 92 octane.  Might back it off just a tad.

Incidentally, this spring I bought an expensive Craftsman timing light
with variable advance,  but found that I had a hell of a time getting an
accurate reading of the flywheel with all the crap in the way of the
transaxle view hole.  I did my best to set it to "stock" taking into
account a skewed angle of view, but after driving on that for weeks, I
decided I was missing power and adjusted by hand.  Is it true that the
16V flywheel has the timing mark "preset" at  6 degrees?

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L Scirocco