Collapsing US bumpers: safe?

There was a tech procedure I saw either on the list or on the web that
detailed how to seperate the 2 metal parts of the bumpers of a MK1 and
shed about half the weight.  You have to remove the skin from the
bumper and then drill, or use what ever means you have, to undo the
stock spot welds holding the 2 pieces of metal together.  Once the 2
are seperated you need to cut out, or fab up your own, the tabs from
one of the metal bumper pieces that hold the hexogonal part of the
plastic bumper and use those to clip the plastic part to the other
metal piece.  Sorry if this is so sketchy but it is all from memory.
I am still lookin for the link also.  Was going to try this but I
started doing the same thing to a cabby knee bar and gave up because
there was so many welds to drill.  I am still waiting to use friends
plasma cutter and do it in 5 minutes.