From: scirocco-l-bounces+dmaula=gordonrees.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+dmaula=gordonrees.com@scirocco.org] On Behalf
Of GGehrke
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:23 PM
To: Scirocco list
Subject: Collapsing US bumpers: safe?

I'm thinking of collapsing my big ugly US bumpers, but I'm curious what
sort of crash protection they actually do provide.  Does anyone know
what the official spec is (i.e. were they designed to resist a 10mph hit
or something to that effect) or what consequence there would be to
having the shocks emptied? At this point I'm not terribly concerned with
doing it for it's aesthetic value because the car's pretty rough looking
anyways, but I have them off for powerwashing and repairing a bit of
rust, so I'm thinking I might as well.  The car looks so good without
any bumpers on it, too.  If it's genuinely unsafe I'd rather just keep
them as is for now, though.

Oh, and I just finished power washing the car.  Did a real bang up job
on the paint. Flaked right off all over the place.  Now the car's
literally about 6 different colours.  It was intentional, but ugh.

Other recent projects:
My headlights died and I couldnt find the problem (sockets fine, switch
fine, fuse fine, etc etc) so I just wired them up with heavy gauge wire
to toggle switches on the dash. New cable from battery to starter and
ground strap to hopefully fix other electrical gremlins and starting
problems.  It does actually seem to run much better!  It starts without
me having to give it any gas and idles more smoothly. Painted my dash
black to fix scuffs and petrified duct tape residue from the PO.
Seafoam!  Timbo was right, fun smokescreen!  This helped reveal, too,
though, that my entire exhaust system is shot.  Smoke poured not only
out the tailpipe but exited at various other locations down the whole
length. Vacuum and febreeze the interior.

Plus I helped my buddy cut his M3's exhaust in half, gut the cat and
weld it back together.  That was pretty fun too :)

-Grant-