serious engine trouble

David, If this is all the details you have your going to have to provide more
Questions:

1. does the engine sound like its turning over?
2. does it sound like its turning over but no compression (thu-thu-thu-thu-thu)?

I think it may be as a few said, it could be the crank keyway,it could
be a few things but what worries me is that you said the enginestopped
working with the sound,last time 16v did that, it was the timing belt
(why I asked the second question)., it looked fine until you remove
the top cover completly and pull on it and it came loose...(broken
bottom end).