From: scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+davidwinchell2=sprynet.com@scirocco.org] On
Behalf Of Larry Fry
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:30 PM
To: scas660@netzero.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: serious engine trouble

> Over the July 4th weekend my 86 16V broke down out of state (its in
> PA).
> While driving about 35mph the engine died with a thump. Sounded like a

> part of the timing belt mechanism but I looked under the timing belt
cover
> and all seemed OK to the eye. However, nothing turns when I try to
start
> the car even though the starter and battery seem to be doing their
job. If
> anyone has any thoughts or if you know of anything that commonly
breaks in
> that part of the engine, I'd appreciate any help. I'd hate to have to
tow
> it back to NY or, even worse, junk it!
>
> Thanks, Steve

If the battery and starter are doing their job, then something is
turning.
Do you mean the starter is whirring but the engine is not turning over??

Sounds like the flywheel has sheared its bolts.  If the engine won't
turn
over when you attempt to push start, then check the flywheel... What
does the clutch feel like?

Larry
sandiego16v