Question about wheel spacers

Ok, so I'm a rim/wheel idiot.  I bought a set of rims that were proper ET
(38) and bolt pattern (4x100) but apparently I didn't know enough.  Upon
trying to fit these rims to the wifes cabby I found not only so they just
barely not fit the center hub but they also won't clear the front break
calipers.  Now I really wnat to use these rims so I started looking at wheel
spacers.

The question is, how do I best tell the size of spacer that I need and
should I go with hub-centric spacers or non hub-centric.  I gather that if I
don't want to have the rims machined I would have to go with non
hub-centric, but what dissadvantages would I be looking at?  I know I'll
need 4 spacers so that everthing lines up right on the car.  The rest is a
bit of a mystery to me.  So, anyone have some good info for me, I'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks,
William