Re: mk1 lowering spring caps...for Bilstein Sports

From: "Sandor" <sandor@vwot.org>
Date: 2005/01/05 Wed AM 12:35:56 EST
To: <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
CC: list@vwot.org
Subject: mk1 lowering spring caps...for Bilstein Sports

So I have a set of Bilstein Sports with H&R sport springs on the front of
my mk1 jetta and I wanna go a bit lower, and I've seen some talk about
these as a decent way to lower the front on mk2 golfs but not so much with
mk1's.  So far there are two types that alwasy get mentioned:
a) JOM, cheap ones for $45CDN or
b) the ABD billet alloy ones for over $200 CDN...ouch!
But on the poortex I've read some reports that some of these are not
really compatible with fat strut rod type struts like the Bilstein
Sports...anybody here running either type?
Any feedback?

cheers
sandor
83 jetta
81 S

IIRC, the piston is much larger on the Bilstein.  Perhaps someone has used the strut bearings that are just like the early ones except they lower the car 10-15mm (IIRC)?  That may be the JOM ones, I don't know...

As usual, I am interested in helping and don't have enough info...  :-(

David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. --Ralph Waldo Emerson