Re: Light makes right

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:37:32 -0600, Robert Piwonka <t.piwonka@ttu.edu>
wrote:

JoshuaA.Conner@VerizonWireless.com wrote:
I have often tried to stay away from some of the theory related discussions
but I can not pass this up.  I would contend that a flywheel's only purpose
is to even out the power pulses.  This would have the effect of a smoother
idle, and possibly greater traction based on the firing order of the engine.
The downside is IMHO horsepower consumed.  IIRC horsepower is loosely a
measure of an engines rate of change ability(simply put, gain/lose rpm).
Would that not be the intent behind an F1 car having virtually no flywheel?

and to put this is terms of physics it is simply an energy equation.
Total power of combustion = heat loss + angular velocity
+ linear velocity. angular being rotational, this is where the flywheel stores energy and looking at the equation you can see that making that smaller makes your linear larger which makes your car more efficient. And for a more detailed explanation
 http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/flywheel.htm

Good reference, Robert.  My POV is totally street performance with a
high degree of "driveability" and comfort.  I carry around a back seat
and several pounds of sound deadening material because I dislike the
noise.  I use a stock rubber trans mount.  The suspension is Koni
because the Bilstein (at the time I did it) had a rep of being too
harsh.  I run a single Weber progressive carb when I could gain
several HP with dual side drafts.  Stock teardrops and Michelin tire
combo that I knew was quiet and comfortable.  A .71 5th, FN wide ratio
trans.  Lots of compromises to my own peculiar sense of what I wanted
the car to be.  The lighter flywheel (IMHO) is a move in the other
direction.  I don't race. (Aside from freeway onramp sprints against
anything Japanese with a special appetite for showing hatch to winged
Civics with primer colored "aerodynamic/snowplow" kits)

Robert
This qualifies as my once a year post

Very informative.

Gordon