Re: will start, but won't stay running

----- Original Message ----- From: "GGehrke" <ggehrke@gmail.com>
To: "Scirocco list" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 12:47 AM
Subject: Re: will start, but won't stay running

Fuel pump relay is also my guess.
I'd diagnose that one by jumpering the relay (pull off the L relay
(one with the fust on it) and bridge L13-L14 with a little piece of
wire - you should really use a wire with a fuse (16A) in it, but if
you don't I won't tell anyone ;) and trying to run the car.
If it runs, try replacing the relay.  If that works, great.

If not, looking at the wiring diagrams, it's also possible that you're
having more general problems in circuit 15, the switched power.  While
cranking, it appears that the starter will actually send  power into
the circuit (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the poles in
the starter relay connects to the circuit via the ignition coil,
though there is a resistor inline as well).  Are you having any other
weird problems with other electrical stuff, such as intruments?  If
you have a multitester, you might try plugging positive into L16 and
grounding the negative anywhere and monitoring the voltage as you try
to start and run the car to make sure you're getting sufficient power
to the relay.

Also, if by some chance jumpering the relay works but replacing it
doesn't and you don't feel like diagnosing larger problems, you can
put a switch in the jumper and power the fuel pump manually.  That's
what I do, it's like an added security feature ;)  just don't forget
to turn it off when you park.

Looking at the troubleshooting section in my Clymer manual, it also
appears that the air sensor plate in the CIS box could be at fault, or
there could be a significant leak in the intake line somewhere between
the fuel distributor and the head.  Those might be worth taking a
quick look at as well.

-Grant-