RE: insurance says it's totaled, need help/advice

Toby,

I'm going through the same thing with EncompASS Ins. Co..
I'm not trying to steal your thunder, just thought you could get something
out of this...

After 4 months, they are settling the claim, "based on the fact that we are
accepting 50% liability."

I hit him from behind, but there are extenuating circumstances.

Their driver passed me on the shoulder, got in front of me, and slammed on
his anti-lock brakes. The brakes on my car locked up, and I went into a
controlled slide for about 60ft, with the Hardy boy about 10ft in front of
me, ruining my SP 8000's by putting a flat spot on every tire.
If he hadn't come to a complete stop on the highway, I would've just ruined
my tires.

He was cited for passing on the shoulder, and unnecessary stopping on a
highway.
I injured my neck, shoulder joint, shoulder blade, and I'm still really
sore.

Their estimate of my damages, based on what the adjuster told the body shop.

Look how similar my damages are:

Parts (not all factory parts, VW parts is ~$1200	$444.15
Body labor 		19.8 hrs @ $38/hr 			$752.40
Paint labor 	12.6 hrs @ $38/hr 			$478.80
Paint supplies 	12.6 hrs @ $38/hr 			$226.80
Other charges							$  3.00

Total
$1905.15

I'm getting my own estimates, and I suggest you do the same...

Anyway, they detemined the "local market value" to be $924, and after 50%,
and a $100 to buy my car back, they're issuing a check for $419.50.

EncompASS do not seem to care that their insured driver did this on purpose,
that my new tires were ruined, that I have over $9000 worth of receipts and
repairs for that car, and that the low NADA value is $2675.

1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
-	Clean Carfax history
-	3rd owner car
	Only 122,194 miles
	Well maintained, and garage kept
	Receipts for over $5000 in upgrades
	Receipts for over $4000 in maintenance and repair
	30K on rebuilt 4K transmission, w/factory bolt kit
	Rebuilt factory alternator
	New battery
	30K on Sachs clutch kit
	Koni Sport Suspension
	Neuspeed Sport springs
	Neuspeed upper stressbar
	Neuspeed lower stressbar
	Urethane front strut mounts
	Urethane rear shock mounts
	K&N air filter
	Blue igniter lifetime warranty 8mm wires
	Techtonics short shift kit
	Techtonics dual downpipe
	Techtonics exhaust w/Borla stainless muffler
	Dual exhaust manifold
	195 55 14 Dunlop SP 8000 tires on stock snowflakes
	Concord by Alpine AM/FM Cassette stereo
	Concord amplifier
	Canton component speakers w/crossover
	Canton 3 ½ front speakers
	4 point rollbar (like a rollcage)
	Hella H4 headlights

I'm going to have my car appraised, get several estimates, continue medical
treatment, start physical therapy, and then let my lawyer settle this and my
injuries with the insurance mediator, or let the courts decide.

Luckily you weren't injured...

If I were you, I'd remind them that you are not pursuing any injury
compensation, you just want your car fixed.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd get 3 estimates, and take them to
court for $1790, or whatever the average of the estimates is.

Was the Police officer informed, that he was on the phone at the time? That can only help your cause.
Were any citations issued? If there was a police report, order yourself a
copy.

Good luck!

Peter in pain and very pissed off!
http://thescirocco.com/